Hope

Hope

Monday, October 5, 2020

2020, perfect timing for a stroke

 Well, I haven't had the energy to talk very much so I'm going to write this about my stroke and how I felt leading up to it.  Maybe it can help someone in the future that may have one.  

There are different types of strokes.  I had an acute stroke, which means blood flow temporarily stopped in part of my brain, the front right part.

I had been having headaches for days and was overall fatigued.  I couldn't stand the light and kept forgetting things.  I would get Karley up and go back to bed.  I had so much to do, but I didn't want to even paint for fun.  I felt lightheaded and nothing was helping the headaches.

My mother used to get migraines beginning at my age, so I assumed it was something like that.  On Thursday Sept. 24th I woke up feeling amazing.  My headaches and symptoms were gone.  I decided to put some furniture together to organize my office.  

Super bad idea.  I kept getting confused.  It's like I could not comprehend  the directions.  I kept putting pieces in the wrong spot and logically could not think.  It was a simple 12 unit cubicle organizer.  I've always put furniture like that together, even when I was dating someone.  My entire life, since I could talk, I've always said, "Ill do it myself".  I was a so little and talking and my mom would try to help me and I wouldn't let her, saying "I'll do it myself.  I've felt like I could do things anyone could do.  And I probably could have had the blood flow just not stopped in part of my brain.

It's an odd sensation.  I was sitting down (thank God).  I was suddenly dizzy and flopped down on my back.  I was still sitting with my legs tucked in but very soon realized that I couldn't move my left side and was having trouble with my right.

I knew I was having a stroke.  I had siri to the rescue again.  She called Karley's dad who immediately dropped everything he was doing to come get me.  Why didn't I call 911? I didn't want to go to our local hospital.  This one was serious and many have died from strokes there.

When John arrived, I was still on the ground.   He grabbed my pill bag and I immediately took 4 low dose aspirin and a blood thinner.  I did get in trouble for taking that, had I been having a hemorrhagic stroke, it could have killed me.  Considering it was going to take us almost 2 hours to get to Jacksonville and help, I was willing to take those odds.

Because I couldn't walk or feel the left side of my body, John had to carry me to his truck.  He was panicking like I was in labor again.  I felt so bad.  Once we were on our way to Baptist Memorial in Jacksonville, I kept crying telling him I was sorry about fighting over Karley and he was a great dad and could do it on his own.   I really thought I wasn't going to make it.  I told him to tell Karley how much I love her.  He kept saying, "hang on, you're not going anywhere".  He drove like a nascar driver to get me there.

Upon arrival he opened my door and was carrying me in yelling to anyone that would listen that I was having a stroke.  I was immediately whisked away from his arms and on to a stretcher.  I told him not to stay and go home to Karley.  

They do not play when they think you're having a stroke.  I can't begin to remember all of the tests I went through but they were non stop.  This all happened at 4:50 pm and by 9 p.m. they were sure I wasn't still having the stroke and I was in a room.  Starving because I hadn't eaten all day.

Let me tell you, they do a full drug test on you too.  I had my adderall and xanax in my system.  So don't do drugs if you are prone to having a stroke!  How about not doing drugs period...

I tried to tell them they would find all the cocaine in my system and they laughed and said they already looked and it was clean.  Ruined it for me.

Let me tell you, I cannot use a bed pan or a diaper.  My lady parts refuse.  I had to urinate so bad that when I got in the room, they had to do a forced catherization.  I had a liter of urine in there.  Yes, a liter.  the nurses were amazed.  My body refuses anything but the toilet or a catheter.  

I continued to have tests for about 5 days.  They were able to tell where the stroke occurred but are not ruling out brain mets.  So I have a repeat MRI 6 weeks after the original and they should be able to tell then.

As most of you know, I had several mini strokes last October.  So we are going to UNF Shands neurology to see if they can find out why this is happening.

I've slowly but surly regained feeling on the left side.  My balance is off but I can walk without a walker now slowly.  PT is amazing an taught me so much.  Basically how to get my brain to recognize signals again.  

I go for another assessment today to see where I stand.  And I am standing and slowly walking.  It's amazing how our bodies can fix themselves if you work at it.  

I'm home now doing outpatient rehab.  Let me know if you have any questions I can answer.  I'm so sorry I left everyone hanging.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  My prognosis is good. Just building up my strength an balance.  I praise God for this.  And I'm really beginning to think He gave me part cockroach DNA.

Anyway, life is short.  Just another reminder.  Hold your loved ones close and don't go to bed mad.









No comments:

Post a Comment