Hope

Hope

Monday, January 23, 2017

Miss him already

So, as stable as my results were, there is always that thought in the back of your mind.  We never ever know when it's going to be our turn to go.  That's why it's so important to spend time and tell your loved ones how much they mean to you.

I got sick Saturday evening and it's in my chest, just an awful cough and congestion.  I stayed in Atlanta a little longer and plan on heading home tomorrow.  I just knew the drive would put me to sleep.

It's been an emotional weekend.  I got to see some friends I haven't seen in ages, although I didn't like the circumstances.

My friend, Tim Gravitt, passed away January 8th.  We graduated high school together and he ended up at GA Tech.  Let me just share a little about Tim.

Tim and I weren't really friends in high school.  We knew each other, but didn't really talk.  After my diagnosis in 2012, instead of posting a prayer on my page for a reason he didn't know, he reached out and asked what was going on.  I told him my diagnosis.  He was the first person to give me raw honest hope.  His mother was diagnosed years ago with Stage 4 non small cell lung cancer.  She was given 6 months and lived 6 years.  They had given me 12-18 months at the time.  For the first time since my prognosis, I had finally been handed a bit of silver lining.  And our friendship began...

Little did I know Tim was having his own medical issues, he would only ask about me.  Then, one day he ended up in the hospital and in a coma.  His liver was failing him.  I reached out to his brother who so kindly kept me aware of his condition.  He was a fighter.  He went through physical therapy after the coma, determined to walk again.  This all happened when my friend Reggie was diagnosed with brain tumors, my friend Gretchen with brain cancer, and now Tim with his liver issues.

We formed a small group.  We group chatted and talked to each other and really supported each other throughout our journeys.  Gretchen's journey came to an end first and it was very traumatic for all of us  We still miss her today.  Then, as sad as it was, Carmen joined our group shortly after.with stage 4 cancer too.  We all went to high school together.  Tim advocated so much for Carmen..  He was always so worried about everyone except himself.

Now that he is no longer with us, I can say this.  Back when my insurance was giving me a hard time and not paying, he offered to marry me so I would have his insurance.  How big can one heart be to do that?  I gratefully declined because I always love a good fight (BC/BS) and eventually won.  But that just goes to show how far he was willing to go to help us when fighting his own battle.

When I got the news that he left us, I was devastated.  It was so unexpected.  He always gave me hope and was the first to do so.

So, rest in paradise my friend.  Tell Gretchen we love and miss her as much as we do you.

I'm heading home tomorrow.  I've missed my family terribly.  Hopefully this chest cold is gone soon.  My lungs aren't the best....but they're still working.  And for that, I'm thankful.  I had another appointment tomorrow but rescheduled.  Just too much right now.

Thank you for your continuous prayers.  Please keep them coming, especially for that next scan where we can get a good comparison.  You all have no idea how much they mean.  Below are a few pics of Tim's Celebration of Life.  It was such a pleasure to finally meet his brother and sister in person.  I'm praying for you all.








And Go Falcons!  Super Bowl Bound!

What an appropriate verse Tim....


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I came across your blog, all because you were in a magazine that I read at my doctor's office. I was born and raised in Ga, and last year relocated to Seattle, WA for work. A few months after my move I was diagnosed with stage 4 nsclc. I too began blogging and found it helps me, but I haven't reached out to anyone in my situation yet. Keep up the good fight, and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your messages,reminds me that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete