My sweet angel

My sweet angel

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Profiles in Lung Cancer - Day 7: AnneMarie Ciccarella, "I got a bully cancer, no cancer is a good cancer"

AnneMarie Ciccarella is a 58 year old passionate Lung Cancer advocate although she was diagnosed and treated with breast cancer, which she is currently NED.

Why is she so dedicated to lung cancer advocacy?  She lost her father to complications from treatment of this horrible disease on July 19, 2007.  His body couldn't take the second round of chemotherapy.  In addition to her father, she lost her grandfather when he was merely 55 to lung. These thoughts still bring tears to her eyes.  Finally, she lost her high school love to lung cancer not too long ago.   So three of the first men she loved were all  taken too early by this disease.

A typical day for AnneMarie involves writing on her blog, which started a a joke (chemobrain), but morphed into a blog for advocacy and research.  When she met Deana Hendrickson, a fellow lung cancer advocate, they knew the lung cancer community needed more.  Deana was tireless in her efforts towards making lung cancer awareness more visible through social media.  AnneMarie knew she had something there.  AnnMarie also likes to point out to companies that have the pink ribbon that it should be white the next month for lung cancer.  She lets them know that cancer is not all about breast cancer.  She sends messages and letters to companies promoting pink but rarely hears back from them.

Something you may not know about AnneMarie is her thoughts on breast cancer versus other cancers.  She feels like she was diagnosed with a "bully cancer".  This is why she advocates for others.  She feels like breast cancer gets so much attention, but no cancer is a good cancer.

AnneMarie wants people to know that a long as you have lungs, you can get lung cancer.  It's a horrible disease that has made too little progress due to lack of research funding.

When asking her what brings her hope, it was ironic because I had just watched the exact commercial she was referring too.  She feels hope is coming from areas like the new commercial from Bristol-Myers Squibb about the new lung cancer drug, Opdivo.  To her, the commercial is huge in the lung cancer arena.  It's moved the needle significantly enough to reach rural markets that haven't necessarily heard of mutations. Also, the breakthroughs in target therapies in gen mutations give her hope.  Hope he wished would have been around years ago.

Twitter Handle: @chemobrainfog

AnneMarie Ciccarella

AnneMarie's father and grandfather - both lung cancer victims


Yesterday's post was by Kim Wieneke at www.aquariusvscancer.com about Jessica Steinberg
Tomorrow's post will be Luna Okada's blog at www.lunaoblog.blogspot.com about Jill Feldman

All profiles can be found the day after posting on the #LCSM Chat blog at http://lcsmchat.com/  A list of links to all the profiles on the original bloggers' pages can be found on the #LCSM Chat site on the Profiles for Lung Cancer Page.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing my story, Sam. I wish you nothing but the best and I'm here to help in whatever way I can. I commit to BE FEARLESS!
    ~AnneMarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your commitment! Thank you for sharing you story with me. #fearless

      Delete
  2. Hi, curious if you know of Bavituximab? There is a Phase III trial for 2nd line NSCLC called the Sunrise Trial. It is a combo trial with Bavituximab and Docetaxel. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not aware of it but will look into it. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information!In my opinion, Keep a healthy life by consuming healthy food and doing exercise regularly is the best healthy formula.
    regards,
    Medical Careers

    ReplyDelete
  4. How i survived lungs cancer.
    I was diagnosed of lung cancer in 2011 and the doctor (oncologist), because i was a chronic smoker who started smoking from 16 and told me i had just two years to live that my lungs had been damaged, that even on the best medication i still had two years. I needed help because i was scared to die and i did chemotherapy, radiotherapy and it was unable to treat or help me. I coughed nearly every minute. In my death clock counting just 6 months remaining, if you knew me then i was good as dead because the cancer had eaten me up. My wife was fortunate enough to contact doctor Amber, a herbal doctor who came and treated me in our house using his medicine and that is how i was saved (where western medicine and methods failed), that was the greatest decision my wife had taken aside marrying me. Today i am totally fine without any symptoms of cancer, it was all confirmed by my oncologist that i am clean. Do not die in silence or rely only on western medicine herbal medicine is very effective. You can contact the doctor on (drambermurray@gmail.com) for more information about his treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete