Hope

Hope

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

World Cancer Day - changes and losses

I felt compelled to write today because it is World Cancer Day.  I'm aware of the American Cancer Society and it's efforts to raise money through the "purple roads" campaign.  I have conflicting feelings towards the American Cancer Society.  If you don't have lung cancer, maybe they are good for you. The only event they do annually for lung cancer is the "Great American Smoke Out".  This just further stigmatizes lung cancer as purely a smokers disease.  Not true.  But if a smoker did get cancer, do they deserve it?  NO!  I think the American Cancer Society has the potential and ability to help change the face of lung cancer and help us rise above the incredibly low survival rate of 15%.  We just have to get them to do it.  Right now, they are hurting us more than helping us.  A picture is worth 1,000 words.

If you are a lung cancer advocate or would like to donate to a lung cancer cause, go to Free To Breathe (fka National Lung Cancer Partnership).   Also, if you're a facebook user, have lung cancer, and want a good site for encouragement and support, try Lung Cancer Survivors Foundation

That being said, please don't hate me or my opinions, but this is my blog, and I want everyone out there to know how I feel about this.  They do great things for other cancers, I'm not knocking that at all, I think that's terrific.  I just feel like all of us cancer warriors should be treated equally, and I encourage you to write to them to do more for lung cancer.  Thankfully we have the smaller organizations that are growing in an effort to bring awareness and fund research.  N\O ONE DESERVES CANCER.

I'm going to stop my rambling and write about two people who have touched my life significantly, and this day is the appropriate day for it.  I think cancer has touched everyone reading this blog right now in one way or another.  Otherwise, I doubt you would be reading it....  So, here we go...

Marjorie Polk lost her battle to kidney cancer on Monday January 27, 2014.  I first met Marjorie as we were both waiting for our MRIs.  We found out we had the same group of friends, but I had moved and wasn't around as much.  We also found out we had the same neurologist and oncologist, both the same age, and both mothers.  We often text messaged each other about our progress, but it seemed like my results were getting better and hers were getting worse.  When I first learned that she was too far gone, I cried a lot.  You get to know people when you have cancer, and by gaining these friends you know that you may lose them.  I also felt somewhat guilty when telling her my results after hearing hers each time.  She was always happy for me regardless, and always positive when she spoke with me.  She was a beautiful soul and is now celebrating, pain free, with our Lord.  She left behind a husband and two children.  If you are interested in donating to her children, you can through paypal at marjorie.davidson.polk@gmail.com  Just follow this link to get started https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/send-money-online  Please pray for strength for her family during this difficult time. Rest In Peace Marjorie



Additionally, I would like to ask for prayers for my Uncle Jerry.  The same day Marjorie passed, he collapsed and was rushed to the ER.   It was determined he has liver cancer.  The doctors have only given him a few months.  He's my dad's baby brother and has a son in college, John Allen Mixon.  Please pray for him to go peacefully and pain free.  And pray for his family.  I hope he knows that I do love him, even if I'm so far away right now.  I plan on going to Atlanta soon to be with my dad during this difficult time.

The aforementioned stories are tragic. We are all going to leave this world one day, but it doesn't mean we have to die. I believe in God and when we pass on, we have the opportunity to go to a far better place than ever imagined.   Make the most of the present, we are not guaranteed a future.  In fact, I despise planning now.

Live for today, forgive others, be kind and love one another.  Such important things to remember, and hard to do in this crazy world today, but it's better than having regrets that you didn't do them.  Life is too short!  Hold on tight to the ones you love!

Thank you all  for your continued support and prayers for me and my family and friends.  Your prayers have done so much, the power of prayer is amazing!  Our God is amazing!

Ecclesiastes 11:5
"Just as you cannot understand the path of the wind or the mystery of a tiny baby growing in its mother's womb, so you cannot understand the activity of God, who does all things"

No comments:

Post a Comment