Hope

Hope

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Side Effects

So it's been approximately 2 weeks since starting the Tarceva.  So far the side effects aren't nearly as bad as the traditional chemo would have been.

I've developed a moderate rash across my back, chest, and face.   The worst of it is on my face of course, and I can't really wear make up because it just irritates it.   It looks like acne, but it's not.  I'm not complaining though, it could always be worse.  I just itch a lot.  Rashes are supposed to be a good sign that the meds are effective.

Also, the back of my head from the craniotomy is still sore.  I'm not sure how long it takes to heal, but I'm sure I'l find that out at the neurologist appt. Feb. 1st.   I have both an MRI and chest x-ray that day.

I've totally changed everything in my diet.  I've avoided sugar and processed foods as much as possible and haven't had anything but water for the past 4 days.  Raw veggies and fruits are best.  I bought a great book by a Stage IV Lung Cancer survivor diagnosed in 1984.   He wrote it last year.  He obviously did something right, I'm taking his advice.   He actually collected surveys from many survivors to find out what they did to survive, and compounded  all of the commonalities in a book. It all makes sense...

I was put on anti-depressants in Houston.  I feel like they've helped, but it's only been 2 weeks, they aren't fully effective until approximately a month has passed.   I have my days, but every time I feel like I'm going to get upset, I look to God.  It's truly amazing how much better I feel just by praying to Him.

I've always gone to church off and on.  I've always believed and was even saved around 13, but rarely did I really reach out to God.  The only time I did was when I wanted something.  

Now, I thank Him for the blessings I have.   It seems like we only call on Him during the bad times instead of thanking Him for every day and every blessing we have.   Yes, I still pray that He will heal me.   But, in the same sentence I thank Him for everything I have and every day He has given me.  I focus on Him and I don't think about the cancer.  I think about living.  He is the final word, not a doctor or the natural law of the universe.   In Him I find peace, and the peace I find is better than any medication.   You just have to completely let go and trust in Him to lead you in the right direction.  It's very hard, but if you can do it, it will change your life forever.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

One last item to mention.   Earlier this week I posted a blog about Karley's birthday party.   An old friend, Andy Smith, put this linked video together for us: Karley's 8th Birthday Party

It's fantastic! Please check it out if you haven't already.  He is very talented.   Thank you so much Andy! And thank you for the song choice Poppy!  

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the movie "Food Matters"? It streams on netflix and could have some good/interesting information for you. In other countries they are using Vitamin C as a treatment for cancer and heart disease. It has been very effective on advance cases.
    Anyways, I wanted to pass it on. I hope you watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. The book I got goes in to a lot of that, but I'll check the show out. Thanks again girl!

      Delete