Hope

Hope

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Small Scare, Big Hearts, and More

It's been a while since my last update.  A lot has been going on, so here we go.

It's Lung Cancer Awareness Month, as well as pancreatic and stomach cancer awareness months.  Lung cancer is the leading cancer killer in the United States among both men and women, yet doesn't get near the publicity, funding, support, or media that breast cancer awareness month gets.  In fact, No-Shave November and Movember have taken this month as well for men's health awareness.

Well men, here's some awareness, lung cancer will kill more of you then any other cancer.

As a lung cancer fighter, I'm appalled at the lack of support by the American Cancer Society compared to breast cancer, and how they don't help fight the stigma.  Smoking causes a lot of cancer besides just lung.  I want to fight for them to move the Great American Smoke Out to January so we can focus on the cancer killer, not the stigma.  January makes sense since it can be a New Year's Resolution.

Now that I'm finished ranting, I went to the Baptist ER last Wednesday due to shortness of breath and back/shoulder pain.  My oncologist was concerned about a pulmonary embolism.  Thankfully, it is just swelling from the radiation.  I have some pain medicine right now that is helping greatly.

I received a letter from my insurance company denying that same radiation, telling me it wasn't "medically necessary".  Well, I'm shocked and very disappointed in Blue Cross Blue Shield.  I guess they expected me to just die?  I cannot believe that my oncologist felt it was medically necessary but someone, who has never seen me, can make this decision.  They, furthermore, have not kept up with the progression of treatment in lung cancer, not knowing this is ground breaking treatment and is working in some patients.  I don't plan on backing down to them.  So, now worries, I have some great friends working with me on this.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Two days later I took Karley to the fair with her friend Bella and my friend Sonja.  Sonja doesn't do things like the fair, but I didn't think I could take them alone, and I don't break promises.  Thanks girl!  I'll add some pictures at the end of the blog.  I enjoyed every minute seeing my sweet girl so happy!

And, I'm so proud of her!  She was baptized at St. Simons Community Church this past Sunday.  I cried a little.  I'm so happy that I was able to witness that amazing moment in her life.  Her faith is so strong, she inspires me.

Speaking of my church, which is AMAZING, my ladies of my bible study class made me cry tears of joy.  They donated so much money to help me with medical bills.  I cannot express in words how much this meant to me.  I love each and every one of you for all that you've done!  My church gives me so much faith in our Lord and in humanity.  Truly great and Godly people are out there. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Finally, Ziggy's is hosting a kid's night fundraiser for us on November 19th from 5-7.  Karley is pumped!  Thank you Angel Hobby and Ziggy's for making this happen!  You guys are great!

And thanks to Piedmont Hospital, Team Draft, and 11 Alive Atlanta, Karley will be at her first football game, Falcons vs. Saints next Thursday.  I'll update more next week!

I am so blessed to have loving and amazing people that care so much about my family and me.  It means so much and your love gives me such a boost of faith in God.

I've joined a few lung cancer groups, including Lung Cancer Survivors Foundation, and decided that I cannot possibly list all of the people that need prayers anymore.  There are so many.  Know that you are all in my prayers!  I'm thankful for these groups of people that are fighting a good fight every day.  No one fights alone!

Thank you for all of your support, love, and most of all prayers!  I'm one happy chick today because I'm so blessed!





1 Corinthians 13:13 
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love."

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Just read your blog from beginning to end. Amazing! I'm Stage 4 NSCLC diagnosed Sept 2012 and given 6 months AVERAGE. Saw my oncologist this week and was given........ 6 months AVERAGE. So I guess at this point I'm winning. I'm also in LCSF and am an admin for their Group, Our United Voice of Lung Cancer. If you feel like popping along, it's a great "family" with lots of good advice. I also have a blog, not as detailed as yours, but you might like to "compare and contrast" so I'll put a link at the end. Whatever happens in the future, my thoughts are with you and all who suffer from this bastard disease. Take care.
    http://robbo332000.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon,

      It's Samantha Mixon. I joined your group last week. I like your "good mornings" every day! I will definitely check out your blog. And we became fb friends today ;)

      Thank you and praying for you!

      Sam

      Delete